Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Music Review 1-8-08

I can't promise how long I'll keep this running, but I'll lightly review new songs as they come out, usually in groups of 3 or more. I'll cover pop, country, rock, and metal for the most part, as these days my music prejudices have been greatly minimized. I'm listening to a little bit of everything, have been for a few years. So take a trip with me, and I'll let you in on what I'm listening. And of course, comments are allowed, however they must be "approved" before being accepted, so keep it clean; spam and flame posts will not get posted. That being said feel free to disagree, just keep it civil.


1. "Hot" by Avril Lavigne (Pop)
This song starts out OK, with promise of a similarity to both "Girlfriend" and "Sk8er Boi" but the promise isn't kept. It's not necessarily bad, but it doesn't feel quite like single material. I will admit that I said the same thing - worse - about "Girlfriend" but love it now. Now I think this might be the weakest of her singles. I will post in a future "New Music Review" if that changes.

2. "Tattoo" by Jordin Sparks (Pop - R&B)
I knew the hook before we got this song, but I hadn't heard the rest of it. I was expecting a good gimmick-song, but I found a decent casual-serious love song, which lyrically is aimed to speak to young and older lovers equally. I also thought it was more pop, but it has more aspects of R&B to it. Overall I'd have to say this is a well-done and solid song; for that it isn't great, but it is good.

3. "Don't Stop the Music" by Rihanna (Pop - Hip-Hop)
I enjoyed Rihanna's first album for a week or two, but got a little tired of it after a while. Her new album has a kind of energy she hasn't had before, almost a slight rock influence. It's still hip-hop, but it's paced like an 80s rock song, so it has a rather distinct sound. I like this, but will I still like it in 2 weeks? I still like "Umbrella", so we'll see.

4. "Misery Business" by Paramore (Rock - Punk)
I have the good luck of having seen the music video as well as hearing this song over the weekend. The vocalist has range, and the punk elements don't grate on my nerves (as most of the genre does). I'm not sure how to take the lyrics as they are kind of feminist, but they're well delivered, and you can't say the song doesn't rock. It doesn't do anything special, but it is fun to listen to, and isn't very long, so definitely not a channel changer.

And four is all I have at the moment. Do not expect regular updates for this, I'll just post them every 3-5 songs we get or hear on the radio or whatever. And my blogging history has not inspired sufficient trust to ask you to depend on me to post anything, which I'd like to say I'll change in 2008, but the truth is with all the stuff going on, it isn't the priority I thought it'd be. I will try, however, to post more - for what it's worth.

You may also notice that I did not rate the songs with numbers. I have two reasons for this. First, someone can ask me "Why is Song A a 6 and Song B is an 8?" when I actually prefer Song A to Song B, I just pulled the numbers out of my back end because it's what I felt at the time, no science behind it. So the number means little. Second because things change every day or every time you hear the song. So now the rating has almost no real meaning. So I just review it - you can decipher the rating for yourself, if you require one.

No comments: