Saturday, January 19, 2008

Weight Loss Day 3

Today we went to the gym. The plan was, I was going to sleep 2 hours after I got off work, take Jen to work, and stop at the gym on the way back from picking her up. That didn't work very well and she drove herself; she swung back and picked me up; we still got to go.

I worked out for about an hour, with and without Jen. I got a recovery shake with "fat burner" powder added, then started on the treadmill and it said I burned 98 calories (10 minutes at around 3mph). I rode a bike machine for about 9 minutes. I benched 65lbs, 2 sets of 10 reps. Used some misc. machines including my "arch-nemesis" the military press and my favorite, the butterfly press.

After we were done, I decided we needed a reward, so we stopped at Walmart, which has a Subway inside. I got a foot-long Chicken Teriyaki sub (10g fat) on wheat bread, no cheese. The sauce is supposed to be fat free, so the fat must be between the chicken and the bread (?).

We shopped in Walmart, then in Food Lion, with grams of fat in mind. We picked up a spaghetti squash - a squash which produces strands like noodles that can be eaten with marinara sauce like spaghetti. We got some Prego sauce, 1g fat per 1/2 cup (and it's got cheese in it!). I plan to cook this meal Monday, when I start taking the alli pills. Oh, and I'm gonna make a salad to go with it, maybe garlic bread if I can find some low-fat stuff, but we don't have to have it.

For snacks, I picked out some fat-free rice cakes, caramel corn flavored, and Jen picked out some generic Oreos that are 5g of fat per package, and that's 4 cookies just a little smaller than the real thing. I've had them before, they're good, but for the size it's more fat than I'm comfortable taking in in just a snack.

I used to eat some real high-fat food. I could put back a DiGiorno stuffed crust pizza in one sitting. I could eat a 1lb. burger and fries and a shake. I could eat 2 boxes of macaroni & cheese. I know none of these are accomplishments to be proud of, but the point is I've gone from a high-fat diet to a low-fat diet, and I err on the side of caution with the fat content. If I had to guess, I'd say I've taken in 35-50g of fat each of the last couple days.

It'll be hard, because I work overnight in a grocery store, but I take a few lowfat or nonfat snacks and a box of Lean Pockets or Michelina's Lean Gourmet, and I'm good for the night.

No comments: