Thursday, June 14, 2007

Blogger's code of conduct?

The other day I was asking myself, "What is blogging, exactly?" See, I just use it as a way to type, practice my writing, so to speak. Whether I need the practice is another matter entirely, but I do enjoy writing, so I do. As I was reading, mostly on Wikipedia (amazing site), I found this:
  1. Take responsibility not just for your own words, but for the comments you allow on your blog.
  2. Label your tolerance level for abusive comments.
  3. Consider eliminating anonymous comments.
  4. Ignore the trolls.
  5. Take the conversation offline, and talk directly, or find an intermediary who can do so.
  6. If you know someone who is behaving badly, tell them so.
  7. Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in person.
OK, so let me see here...

1. I don't get a lot of comments (only 1, from a family member, so far) so I'll have to wait on that one.

2. Label? Huh? If by label they mean disclose, I hereby state that any derogatory, sexist, racist, or otherwise offensive comments will be deleted. I do realize that saying so invites such comments, but whatever. From here on out any comment which is meant to offend will be deleted. If you'd like to debate something, I invite that, but keep the peace.

3. Hmm... No, I don't think so. Unless I start getting a lot of comments, I'm not going to be picky about who can and who cannot comment. My blog is not popular enough for me to expect people to register with Blogger or Blogspot just to comment on it.

4. Ignoring trolls is more easily said than done, but doesn't this fall under the first two? If someone's trolling, those comments are going to be deleted. As a forum admin, I had to deal with a few trolls, so that's nothing new.

5. Take it offline? Well, I'm much more adept with words online, when I can think of the best word or the best way to word something, so calling someone up and discussing something "offline" would hurt my position, if it were a debate. If it's someone I know in person, local - that's one thing, but otherwise I disagree with this one as I understand it.

6. Tell them? As opposed to deleting their comment? Isn't this contradictory? In my experience, adults behaving badly know they're doing it and they have a purpose. Telling them shows you're two steps behind them, and good luck being taken seriously after that.

7. This is the important one here, and I really have to watch what I say, because I could be more controversial than Howard Stern if I didn't care for consequences. If the blog were anonymous, I wouldn't worry, but I used my real name as sort of a check and balance for myself. You know, everything I say up here I'm putting my name on, and if you can't put your real name on something, how much do you really believe it? I try to avoid the really controversial stuff, but I have opinions on most controversial topics. When I do make those posts, I will be very careful about what I say while trying my best to stay true with my position.

Just a little quickie I wanted to put up.

No comments: