Sunday, June 10, 2007

Decadent fudge cake

Of all the scams, mailing lists, and get-rich-quick schemes that my late father's second wife (after my mother) tried, by far the best one (only good one?) was this recipe club or something like that. Every so often they'd send a bunch of recipes to go in this binder they sold, but the recipes they sent were completely random - she'd be throwing away duplicates all the time. One such duplicate was called the Decadent Fudge Cake. I've only had it three times - it's like death by chocolate.


Click the image to make it grow...

Here's how to make it, starting with what you'll need:

One 10-inch Bundt pan, one double boiler (not a steamer!!!), electric mixer

1 cup Butter, softened
4 Eggs
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
1 cup Buttermilk
2 1/2 cups Flour
1 1/2 cups Semisweet mini-morsels, divided
2-4oz bars Sweet baking chocolate melted/cooled
1/3 cup Chocolate syrup
2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
4 oz. White chocolate chopped (or chips)
2 tablespoons +2 teaspoons Shortening, divided

Instructions:

Cream Butter in mixing bowl. Gradually add Sugar beating well at medium speed using an electric mixer. Add eggs 1 at a time beating well after each addition. Dissolve Baking soda in Buttermilk stirring well. Add to cream mix alternatively with Flour beginning and ending with Flour. Add 1 cup of the Semisweet mini-morsels, melted, Chocolate syrup, and Vanilla string just until blended but do not overbeat.

Spoon batter into a heavily greased and floured 10" Bundt pan. Bake at 300ยบ for 1 hour 25 to 35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Now invert cake immediately onto plate. Let cool.

To make the topping:

Combine the White chocolate (chunks of solid white, or chips) with 2 tablespoons Shortening in top portion of double boiler. Bring water to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook until it is melted and smooth. Drizzle White chocolate over cooled cake. Now melt 1/2 cup Semisweet mini-morsels with 2 teaspoons Shortening. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Let cool. Drizzle over White chocolate.

I've told a couple people about it, been asked about it. Well, there it is. Actually a quick Google search showed it on other sites, but what I posted is pretty much verbatim from the card. I believe I did a thing or two to it, but only in the wording; the recipe itself is unchanged. I would trust this before others.

The first and second times I've had it, I made it. The first time turned out better than the second time, where I did something wrong. The third time I had it, my wife made it for me the first time I visited back in 2004.

No comments: